Saturday, December 15, 2012

In the season of giving...

I love this time of year.  In class we have started to learn about the different continents and winter traditions around the world.  We learned about Sinterklass (in the Netherlands,) Hanukkah, Christmas in Australia.    In our class we created a special present to give
to our parents . 


Thinking of this reminds me of one of my favorite presents.  When I was 14 years old my mom gave me her high school I.D. bracelet for Christmas.  I liked it, but what I really  wanted was something new and popular, like a swatch watch 


 or a record player.








I put the ID bracelet in my jewelry box and there it sat gathering dust for a few years.  When I was a senior in high school, I gave the bracelet to my best friend, as a way of saying that we would be friends forever.  After a while, my friend and I lost touch but she kept the bracelet with her.  It reminded her of me even though we never got to see each other.  Many years passed, and one day when I was feeling very sad my friend brought me my mom's ID bracelet.  I was shocked.   I had completely forgotten the bracelet existed. I was amazed at how beautiful my mom's name looked engraved in the shiny silver.  It was the perfect gift.





What is the best gift you have ever received? 

 Is there anything special you want as a gift this year? 

1 comment:

  1. My best gift is matching pajama sets. Every year my sister and cousins get the same jammies. I like it because it means we are together and we can wear the same jammies for sleepovers. I don't know what I want this year so I just asked Santa to bring things a 6 year old girl would like. Some ear muffs would be nice.

    ReplyDelete